Dear OLGC Community,
This is always an incredibly busy time of year, full of celebrations and preparations. We have all begun the Advent season, preparing for the birth of our Lord and finding ways to show our generosity and support to so many in need. Our 8th graders and teachers have done an excellent job preparing for their High School Placement Test, taken this morning, and completing applications, essays, asking for teacher recommendations, etc., all in preparation for their next year in High School.
We ask that you continue to help your children prepare to dress properly for the winter weather, as we will get them outside in the fresh air as much as possible. Please send them into school with coats, winter hats, gloves, etc. Just a reminder, if it is too cold on a particular morning, we will use our inclement weather drop off procedures and have students come right inside, even if there is no precipitation. Some mornings it will simply be too cold to stay outside.
I also ask for your continued patience in the morning for carpool drop-off. I am trying to fairly bring the cars down the two lanes by the order you arrived, but sometimes that is not feasible due to other circumstances. Our primary goal is student safety, and preventing traffic from backing up onto Wolftrap Road as much as possible. I will keep doing the best that I can to be fair to all involved. It is helpful if you do not switch lanes as you are driving down, as it definitely adds to my nervousness, and confuses the process a bit. I really appreciate it if you acknowledge that you have seen me when I ask you to stop, as sometimes it is difficult for me to know if you saw my signal. Thank you for your kind understanding and cooperation.
Congratulations to our fall track teams! OLGC won the track meet with the most overall points. Our 3rd & 4th grade boys and girls earned 1st place, our 5th & 6th grade boys and girls earned 2nd place, and our 7th & 8th grade boys and girls earned 1st place. Thank you to all runners, participants, families, and especially our coaches! Great job, everyone!
Finally, don't forget the students may participate in the out of uniform day on Friday, December 3rd, to support We Care Week. In return for this participation, we are asking the students to bring in a minimum donation of $1.00, and they must adhere to the Out of Uniform Dress Code policy. The Out of Uniform Dress Code policy states:
- Students are not allowed to wear sundresses or tank tops.
- No “short” shorts. Shorts must be no shorter that four (4) inches above the center of the knee.
- No wide-legged or “sagging” pants/shorts may be worn. THIS INCLUDES PAJAMA PANTS - however, sweatpants are acceptable.
- Skirts should be no shorter that the uniform skirt – 2 inches above the knee.
- T-shirts with reference to inappropriate slogans and pictures may not be worn.
- Nice jeans are permitted but they must not be patched or torn.
- Tight shorts or pants are not permitted.
- Tights and or leggings without skirts or long shorts are not permitted.
- No flip flops heelies or skater shoes. Sneakers are required for students having PE on out of uniform days.
- Shirts must meet pants and stomachs must be covered. No exposed midriffs.
Have a great rest of the week!
Adrianne Jewett, Principal
December 3: Report Cards Go Home
December 3: “We Care Week” $1 Donation Out of Uniform Day (See Mrs. Jewett's note for information)
December 20-31: Christmas Break
January 3: School Resumes
Thank You From The Wildcat Fund: A huge thank you to all our Wildcat families for their wonderful contributions to our community on GivingTuesday! Your generosity is always overwhelming! Our results will be shared with the community shortly.
Artsonia Student Artwork: This year, order custom keepsakes with your child's artwork as holiday gifts for family and friends with our online art gallery Artsonia.com! Once on the site, search for Our Lady of Good Counsel School or email Mrs. Amanda Miller (email@example.com) for your child's unique screen name to see their individual art portfolio. Through December 14th, save 15% off one item with promo code HolidayFunds21.
Adult Volunteer Requirements: All adult volunteers who work with children are required to fully comply with Diocesan child protection requirements. This includes volunteers in school, sports, and CCF or Youth Ministry. The 3-step certification process includes the following:
- Complete this OLGC form so we can track the progress of your background check: https://www.olgcva.org/outreach/serve/volunteer-children/form
- Complete the Office of Child Protection background check questionnaire: https://www.arlingtondiocese.org/Child-Protection/
- Attend the in-person, 4-hour VIRTUS training session (Protecting God's Children for Adults) at a Catholic parish in Northern Virginia. Register at www.virtusonline.org and choose Arlington Diocese. When prompted:
- Click on First Time Registrant OR enter your login and password
- Click on View a List of Sessions
- Select Arlington, VA (Diocese)
- Scroll down, select a session and follow the prompts.
OLGC Sibling Applications for 2022-2023 School Year: We have moved to a fully online application this year. You can find the 2022-2023 Application here: 2022-2023 New Student Application. Once you have completed the application, you will need to submit your Tuition Deposit through the Faith Direct link here: Faith Direct. Your application is not complete until you have submitted your Tuition Deposit. Visit our Admissions page at https://www.olgcschool.org/admissions, where you can also find the above links. Please look out for the link for reregistration of our current students soon!
Year Round OLGC Virtual Book Store: The OLGC School Book Store is available all year to purchase books and games delivered directly to your home address. Please shop here: Year-Round OLGC Virtual Book Store Link. All proceeds benefit OLGC School.
Recess Volunteers Needed! For more information or to sign up, please use this link: Recess Volunteer Signup
OLGC School Messages: If you would like to receive OLGC messages via text, in addition to email, please text “Y” to 67587.