Fact 1: We love the teachers at OLGC. Fact 2: We love our teachers infinitely more and have thanked God for them every single day since the pandemic x 100! We are so grateful for the faculty and administrative staff that make all things possible. Our educators are in a league of their own and they are second to none. Thank you, teachers! You make all the difference in our lives and will continue to as our kid’s take your lessons to heart. Please spread the love to Mrs. Jewett’s amazing staff by supporting our Teacher Appreciation Week efforts outlined below.
Karen An, PTO President
- THIS WEEK Teacher Appreciation Week is May 3-7 and the PTO has worked hard to put together a week of goodies to spoil our teachers and staff. We need your help! Please read through our plans for the week and sign up to support our efforts.
- Wednesday, May 5th - Salty Snack Donations - Please send in INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED/PACKAGED salty food items for the teachers and staff to snack on at school. Food items can be dropped off during morning carpool at the Counsel Room doors, the Main Entrance doors, and the Preschool doors. Please sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0E4EA4AC23A75-teacher5
- Thursday, May 6th - Teacher Luncheon - BonChon will be generously donating lunch for our teachers and staff. Thank you, Bon Chon!!!
- Friday, May 7th - Sweet Snack Donations - Please send in INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED/PACKAGED sweet food items for the teachers and staff to snack on at school. Food items can be dropped off during morning carpool at the Counsel Room doors, the Main Entrance doors, and the preschool doors. Volunteers will be present to accept donations. Please sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0E4EA4AC23A75-teacher6
- ADDITIONALLY, have your child make a card and bring it in for their homeroom teacher or favorite teacher/staff member around the school. There is nothing better than receiving sweet notes from the students. These cards/notes should be delivered to your teachers on Friday! Please don't forget your favorite support staff/specialist teachers. Everyone loves to be remembered! If you have an eLearner, the PTO will provide a bin at the main entrance for cards to be dropped off.
- NEW PTO Dining For Dollars At Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream! Ready for a frosty treat to beat the heat?! I scream, you scream, we all scream for Ice Cream!!!! We are partnering with Ben and Jerry's Vienna on Thursday, May 13th. Get your tasty treats and 20% of orders come back to OLGC! Be sure to mention “OLGC” at the register. Hours valid: 3pm to 9pm. Only exclusions: gift cards and On Demand-Ubereats, 3rd party delivery. Address: 136C Maple Ave W, Vienna.
- OLGC Summer Fun Camp: OLGC Summer Fun Camp is back for another year of fun and engaging activities led by OLGC teachers here on campus. We would like to gauge potential interest in our OLGC Summer Fun Camp. Summer Fun Camp will be a week and a half of guided classes, crafts, and activities here on our OLGC campus. Fun Camp is ONLY open to rising OLGC first through fifth graders. Sessions are June 16-18 and June 21-25. Please email if your family might be interested; space will be limited due to COVID protocols so please reach out quickly.
- PTO General Meeting (Zoom) – Town Hall with Mrs. Jewett on May 18 from 7:00 – 8:30 PM. All school families are welcome to attend our final general meeting. We will discuss plans for the upcoming school year. There will be opportunities to ask questions. Please submit them in advance to: Karen An
- Yellow Ribbon Fund (“YRF”): Help us honor our wounded military heroes by supporting OLGC’s May Outreach Drive for the Yellow Ribbon Fund (“YRF”) with a donation of VISA or Gas Station gift cards, cash or checks (payable to Yellow Ribbon Fund). This veteran service organization is dedicated to serving severely wounded, ill, and injured servicemembers by enabling families to stay together during the critical recuperation phase. Four hundred (400) of the over 1700 military families who receive assistance from YRF live right here in the DMV and your donation will be earmarked for these local military families. School families may drop off/send in their donations through the school the week of May 10th – 14th or at the church after all Masses the weekend of May 15th & 16th. Volunteers are needed https://www.olgcva.org/news-post/~board/news/post/yellow-ribbon
- Recess Volunteers Needed: Please consider volunteering for recess duty. Sign up here. Each time you volunteer you must complete the Health Survey prior to arriving on campus. The link to the survey is here. All volunteers must have attended VIRTUS training and have successfully passed the background check before volunteering. To review the volunteer requirements, please click here. If you have any non-urgent questions, please email Rachelle Robinson (parent volunteer).
- Gift cards: the PTO has gift cards for purchase - please stop by the Parish Admin office to purchase with cash or checks made payable to OLGC PTO.
Want to stay on top of what’s going on at the school? Bookmark this link.
- NEW Care for Our Common Home: Interested in participating in a Creation Care team at OLGC? Next month is the sixth anniversary of Pope Francis’ groundbreaking encyclical, “Laudato Si,” which addresses care for our common home. A Catholic Conference on Creation Care is being hosted Saturday, May 15, from 12pm - 4pm on Zoom. A 30 minute virtual chat to meet with other interested parishioners before the conference will be hosted Wednesday, May 12th, at 7:00 PM Care for our Common Home at OLGC.
- The Chosen 1st Season Showing: Join us for a showing of the first season of The Chosen! For the first time ever, the greatest story ever told is being presented as a multi-season show. Digging deeper into the backstories and context of the people and the events of the gospels, Season One of the #1 highest crowd-funded media project of all time introduces you to people such as Simon Peter, Nicodemus, Mary Magdalene, Mathew, and of course Jesus in a way never before seen on film. Our showing will take place on Tuesday evenings starting April 27th from 7 pm to 8:30pm and running 8 consecutive weeks. Our last episode will take place on June 15th. We will watch the series and have time for reflection via Zoom. The Zoom link be emailed to all who have signed up on Friday, April 23rd. Join us for any or all episodes. Please sign up here; contact Amy de Bernardo (703-896-7414) with questions.
Want to stay on top of what’s going on at the church? Bookmark this link.