Teachers are one of the main reasons we love OLGC and we have big plans to honor them! Please review the announcements and pay close attention to the daily activities that we have planned throughout the week, starting with this Friday!
Thank you for your support!
Karen An, PTO President
- THIS WEEK Shopping for Dollars April 27-28! Mother’s Day is around the corner. Shop now for your gifts or for yourself! Shop away on https://www.kendrascott.com/ and enter code GIVEBACK-1JU3 in the “Coupon Code” field on the billing page at checkout—just click “apply” and 20% of proceeds will benefit OLGC. Please Note: Code will be active for those 48 hrs and some discounts cannot be combined with the giveback code.
- NEW OLGC Summer Fun Camp: OLGC Summer Fun Camp is back for another year of fun and engaging activities led by OLGC teachers here on campus. We would like to gauge potential interest in our OLGC Summer Fun Camp. Summer Fun Camp will be a week and a half of guided classes, crafts, and activities here on our OLGC campus. Fun Camp is ONLY open to rising OLGC first through fifth graders. Sessions are June 16-18 and June 21-25. Please email if your family might be interested; space will be limited due to COVID protocols so please reach out quickly.
- NEXT WEEK Teacher Appreciation Week is May 3-7 and the PTO has worked hard to put together a week of goodies to spoil our teachers and staff. We need your help! Please read through our plans for the week and sign up to support our efforts.
- Friday, April 30th - Stock the Coffee Bar - The PTO is donating 4 Nespresso VertuoPlus Deluxe Coffee Maker & Espresso Machines for the teachers' lounges. Three machines will be added to the Main Building and 1 will be added to the Preschool. The teachers currently have 2 Keurig machines and we are excited to add some variety to their mornings. To make these donations even sweeter, we are looking for help to supply their coffee bar for the week. Please sign up here to donate goodies to the coffee bar: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0E4EA4AC23A75-stock
- Monday, May 3rd - Flower Donations for Floral Bouquets - On Monday May 3rd, we will continue with a special OLGC Teacher Appreciation tradition by asking all children to bring in one (or more) flowers to contribute towards handmade flower bouquets that will be distributed to all of the teachers. They may be cut flowers from your own garden (any type) or store bought flower bouquets - you decide! Volunteers will put arrangements together and distribute them to each teacher to brighten their classroom and to thank them for their dedicated service to OLGC School. Please note - the flowers that you contribute are not designated for any individual teacher (including your own child's teacher) but will be used to make beautiful arrangements for ALL teachers and staff. If you have any questions, please contact Dagny Shiells at email@example.com. Volunteers are needed to help create the bouquets: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0E4EA4AC23A75-come2
- Tuesday, May 4th - Healthy Snack Donations - Please send in INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED/PACKAGED healthy food items for the teachers and staff to snack on at school. Food items can be dropped off during morning carpool at the Counsel Room doors, the Main Entrance doors, and the Preschool doors. Volunteers will be present to accept donations. Please sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0E4EA4AC23A75-healthy1
- On Tuesday, the PTO is also generously donating dinner from Skorpio's Maggio's Family Restaurant. Dinners will be distributed to the teachers to take home to their families. Thank you, PTO!!
- Wednesday, May 5th - Salty Snack Donations - Please send in INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED/PACKAGED salty food items for the teachers and staff to snack on at school. Food items can be dropped off during morning carpool at the Counsel Room doors, the Main Entrance doors, and the Preschool doors. Please sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0E4EA4AC23A75-teacher5
- Thursday, May 6th - Teacher Luncheon - BonChon will be generously donating lunch for our teachers and staff. Thank you, Bon Chon!!!
- Friday, May 7th - Sweet Snack Donations - Please send in INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED/PACKAGED sweet food items for the teachers and staff to snack on at school. Food items can be dropped off during morning carpool at the Counsel Room doors, the Main Entrance doors, and the preschool doors. Volunteers will be present to accept donations. Please sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0E4EA4AC23A75-teacher6
- ADDITIONALLY, have your child make a card and bring it in for their homeroom teacher or favorite teacher/staff member around the school. There is nothing better than receiving sweet notes from the students. These cards/notes should be delivered to your teachers on Friday! Please don't forget your favorite support staff/specialist teachers. Everyone loves to be remembered! If you have an eLearner, the PTO will provide a bin at the main entrance for cards to be dropped off.
- PTO General Meeting (Zoom) – Town Hall with Mrs. Jewett on May 18 from 7:00 – 8:30 PM. All school families are welcome to attend our final general meeting. We will discuss plans for the upcoming school year. There will be opportunities to ask questions. Please submit them in advance to: Karen An
- NEW Yellow Ribbon Fund (“YRF”): Help us honor our wounded military heroes by supporting OLGC’s May Outreach Drive for the Yellow Ribbon Fund (“YRF”) with a donation of VISA or Gas Station gift cards, cash or checks (payable to Yellow Ribbon Fund). This veteran service organization is dedicated to serving severely wounded, ill, and injured servicemembers by enabling families to stay together during the critical recuperation phase. Four hundred (400) of the over 1700 military families who receive assistance from YRF live right here in the DMV and your donation will be earmarked for these local military families. School families may drop off/send in their donations through the school the week of May 10th – 14th or at the church after all Masses the weekend of May 15th & 16th.
- Recess Volunteers Needed: Please consider volunteering for recess duty. Sign up here. Each time you volunteer you must complete the Health Survey prior to arriving on campus. The link to the survey is here. All volunteers must have attended VIRTUS training and have successfully passed the background check before volunteering. To review the volunteer requirements, please click here. If you have any non-urgent questions, please email Rachelle Robinson (parent volunteer).
- Gift cards: the PTO has gift cards for purchase - please stop by the Parish Admin office to purchase with cash or checks made payable to OLGC PTO.
Want to stay on top of what’s going on at the school? Bookmark this link.
- STARTS THIS WEEK The Chosen 1st Season Showing: Join us for a showing of the first season of The Chosen! For the first time ever, the greatest story ever told is being presented as a multi-season show. Digging deeper into the backstories and context of the people and the events of the gospels, Season One of the #1 highest crowd-funded media project of all time introduces you to people such as Simon Peter, Nicodemus, Mary Magdalene, Mathew, and of course Jesus in a way never before seen on film. Our showing will take place on Tuesday evenings starting April 27th from 7 pm to 8:30pm and running 8 consecutive weeks. Our last episode will take place on June 15th. We will watch the series and have time for reflection via Zoom. The Zoom link be emailed to all who have signed up on Friday, April 23rd. Join us for any or all episodes. Please sign up here; contact Amy de Bernardo (703-896-7414) with questions.
- NEW Evening Prayer: Monday, May 3rd at 7pm in the Church All are welcome! “When evening approaches and the day is already far spent, evening prayer is celebrated in order that we may give thanks for what has been given us, or what we have done well, during the day.” We gather as a parish community on the first Monday of every month to pray Evening Prayer. Evening Prayer is composed of Psalms, Scripture, Song, and Prayers of Intention. No signup is required. Bring a friend.
Want to stay on top of what’s going on at the church? Bookmark this link.