Celebrate Catholic Schools Week has come and gone, but I’m still beaming with pride. What a sight it was to see our wildcats support our school leadership, teachers and the families who work hard to make OLGC not just a school, but also a tightly knit community. While it was fun to dress wacky and tacky, eLearn in PJ’s, and enter and exit the building in waves of orange and blue, I’m appreciative for just that. The fact that we are all doing our best to be together and mutually understand the value of our faith-based education.
Tomorrow, the Wildcat Fund kicks off their annual Day of Giving through the 11th. Our goal is to raise $50,000. Your contributions will directly benefit curriculum enhancements in our classrooms. Let’s work together to make OLGC the best place to be!
Karen An, PTO President
- THIS WEEK The Wildcat Fund Steering Committee invites you to save the date as we UNMASK OUR POTENTIAL during this year’s Wildcat Fund Day of Giving on February 10-11, 2021. For 48 hours, we will celebrate our community and all that we have the potential to be as we aim to raise $50,000. This year, Kearney & Company will serve as our Day of Giving Corporate Sponsor; they will generously match the first $50,000 raised to be used towards curriculum enrichment at OLGC that will allow teachers and staff to unmask the potential of the curriculum and transform what it means to LEARN at OLGC. To make a gift to The Wildcat Fund, please visit www.olgcschool.org/wildcatfund; contact Alison McKee with any questions.
- Used Uniform Collection: If you have an immediate need, please email Raelene Sok.
- PTO has some gift cards in stock for purchase. Please stop by the Parish Admin office to purchase with cash or checks made payable to OLGC PTO.
- PTO spirit wear. We have a few extra spirit t-shirts in both youth and adult sizes for sale. Please email Karen An if you would like to purchase.
Want to stay on top of what’s going on at the school? Bookmark this link.
- NEW Boy Scouts: Register to join an information meeting with Troop 976 - based at OLGC and sponsored by the church. The annual visit for any and all prospective scouts will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday 2/24. This meeting will be held via Zoom. Parents are invited and encouraged to join on a separate device, so that they may take part in the parent information room. RSVP here. Learn about our opportunities for camping, hiking, high adventure trips to the Bahamas and to Philmont Ranch, merit badges, volunteer service and more; note that boys must be in 5th grade or 11 years old. We hope to see you there!
- NEW Lenten Opportunities: Lent begins Wednesday 2/17; the Church will be closed after the 8:30am Mass and the Chapel will be open from 10am—5pm
- Ash Wednesday Masses: 2/17, 8:30 am (live-streamed), 12:10 pm, 7 pm (bilingual). This year, because of COVID guidelines and the accompanying option for the distribution of ashes, ashes will not be distributed at OLGC. Instead, those who attend Mass on Ash Wednesday (sign-up required) will receive a nail cross pin to wear throughout the Season of Lent as an outward reminder of the call to turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel.
- Parish Lenten Retreat (Evening Prayer): 2/22, March 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 at 7 pm in the Church.
- Stations of the Cross: 2/26, March 5, 12, 19, and 26 at 7pm in the Church in English, and in the Chapel in Spanish.
- The Light is On - Exposition and Confessions: 2/24, March 3, 10, 17, 24 from 6:30 - 7:30 pm in the Chapel
- THIS WEEK Adolescents, Anxiety & Covid-19: Join Dr. Monique Reynolds, licensed clinical psychologist, on Thursday, February 11 from 7-8pm for a parent program to provide an introduction to stress and anxiety in teens today. Participants will learn the difference between anxiety and anxiety disorders as well as the role of avoidance and uncertainty in maintaining anxiety. Specific issues related to Covid-19 and the struggle to find a "new normal" during the pandemic will be discussed. This program will support parents in awareness of coping strategies, the importance of self-care, and resilience-building during this challenging time. Please signup to attend.
- NEXT WEEK Finding Internships and Jobs in the Age of COVID: Join the OLGC Business Network for a discussion on Finding Internships and Jobs in the Age of COVID. Thursday 2/18 at 7:30pm via Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82612452198?pwd=SCtLYUhzUTFDRFZZOUJqQmt1eS9JUT09; Meeting ID: 826 1245 2198, Passcode: 974132, Dial: 301-715 8592 US
Want to stay on top of what’s going on at the church? Bookmark this link.