We started this week out of uniform to celebrate the amazing families that belong to Our Lady of Good Counsel School! There is much pride with having a sense of belonging to this community. From your commitment to adapting to new classroom environments to generously supporting our children’s educators, it is no surprise why we continue to be a learning institution of choice.
This is a time where we begin to invite members in our school community to answer the call of service. We are seeking leaders to help improve the educational opportunities of each child. Here is the list of positions that are nearing the end of their term.
- Vice-President - The Vice-President shall, in the absence of the President, perform the duties of the President, and shall perform such other duties as may be assigned by the PTO Board. The Vice-President will maintain and coordinate the volunteer positions. The Vice-President shall be elected at the PTO annual meeting for a term of one year and shall, upon completion of one term, succeed to the office of President for the succeeding term.
- Treasurer - The Treasurer shall account for all revenues and expenditures of the PTO. The Treasurer shall submit a written financial statement to the PTO Board on a bi-monthly basis. The Treasurer shall prepare an annual budget and present it to the Board at its May annual meeting for Board approval at its June meeting. The Treasurer will then submit the approved budget to the Parish Pastoral Associate. The Treasurer shall also attend the meetings of the Parish Finance Council. The Treasurer shall also perform such other duties as assigned by the PTO Board. The Treasurer shall be appointed by the pastor and approved by the principal, as well as serve on the Parish Finance Council, for a term of three years.
- Corresponding Secretary - The Corresponding Secretary shall be responsible for the preparation of the weekly Chatter distributed by the PTO and shall perform other duties as assigned by the PTO Board. The Corresponding Secretary shall be elected at the PTO annual meeting for a term of one year and shall, upon completion of one term, succeed to the office of Recording Secretary for the succeeding term.
- Member-at-Large - The Members-at-Large shall perform duties as assigned by the PTO Board. One (1) Member-At-Large shall be elected at each PTO annual meeting for a term of two years.
Serving on the board provides the opportunity to make a positive impact on the school all while receiving firsthand information that others may not be privy to until it goes public. Please email me by March 22 if you wish to volunteer your time to the 2021-22 PTO Board.
Karen An, PTO President
- THIS WEEK Dining For Dollars: We are partnering with Church Street Pizza & Lombardi’s for February’s Dining for Dollars. Today, order lunch or dinner or both and 15% comes back to OLGC! They have contact free carryout and delivery. Be sure to mention “OLGC” when placing your order or in the “notes” for online orders: Delivery: 703-242-5901 or Carryout/pickup: 703-938-1155; 115 Church St NE. Hours: 11am-8pm
- NEW PTO General Meeting (virtual): Please join us on Tuesday, March 2 at 7:00 PM. We have invited Megan MacCutcheon McAtee to discuss anxiety and stress in our kids. There will be an opportunity for Q/A and tips on how to raise our youth to be resilient.
- Girl Scout Cookies: OLGC Girl Scout Troops will be selling cookies after Masses the weekend of February 27-28. Thin Mints, Samoas, Trefoils, Do-si-Dos, Tagalongs, and Lemon-Ups are $5.00 per box. Girl Scout S'mores and gluten-free Toffee-tastics are $6.00 per box. Only cash will be accepted.
- PTO has some gift cards in stock for purchase. Please stop by the Parish Admin office to purchase with cash or checks made payable to OLGC PTO.
Want to stay on top of what’s going on at the school? Bookmark this link.
- THIS WEEK Boy Scouts: Register to join an information meeting with Troop 976 - based at OLGC and sponsored by the church. The annual visit for any and all prospective scouts will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday 2/24. This meeting will be held via Zoom. Parents are invited and encouraged to join on a separate device, so that they may take part in the parent information room. RSVP here. Learn about our opportunities for camping, hiking, high adventure trips to the Bahamas and to Philmont Ranch, merit badges, volunteer service and more; note that boys must be in 5th grade or 11 years old. We hope to see you there!
- NEW The Honda CRV that is part of the Annual Car raffle will be in the parking lot from Wednesday to Sunday to see. The tickets for the annual 5 Car & Cash Prizes Raffle have been mailed if you didn't receive any or want more, please stop by the Parish Office. Prizes include five 2021 vehicles from Koons of Manassas (Honda Civic, Buick Encore, GMC Canyon Truck, Honda CRV Sport Utility, and Honda Odyssey Van) and cash prizes. One $5.00 ticket offers the purchaser a chance to win all five vehicles plus $20,000 in cash prizes. This is the same raffle that we have participated in for the last number of years. The raffle continues to benefit our parish and many other charitable causes throughout the diocese, as it has in the past. We hope that you will support our efforts by buying or selling your tickets. Please mail tickets directly to All Saints in the envelope provided or drop them off at the parish office or place them in the collection boxes in the Narthex. Checks should be made payable to ALL SAINTS. This is required by the Department of Charitable Gaming.
- Lenten Opportunities:
- Parish Lenten Retreat (Evening Prayer): 2/22, March 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 at 7 pm in the Church.
- Stations of the Cross: 2/26, March 5, 12, 19, and 26 at 7pm in the Church in English, and in the Chapel in Spanish.
- The Light is On - Exposition and Confessions: 2/24, March 3, 10, 17, 24 from 6:30 - 7:30 pm in the Chapel
Want to stay on top of what’s going on at the church? Bookmark this link.