Hey-oh OLGC fam!
Can we discuss morning people and non-morning people and why they marry one another? If you know me just a little you can guess that I am NOT a morning person. I don’t want to hear words until I am ready. My husband on the other hand acts like he is competing in the Scripps National Spelling Bee every morning. All the words! I try to meet him half way. Some mornings I will offer a half-smile instead of hissing, and he “tries” to zip it until I’ve had coffee. Sooo, what’s your point, Flores? My point is we do generous acts for those we love, all the time. Yes, smiling in the morning is a generous act for me! But this month, in particular, is the time to do generous acts for others.
In this edition of Celeste’s ramblings, we have MANY ways for you to flex that generosity muscle. First up, being grateful for teachers is something I know all of us can agree on. These days our teachers are more than educators. They are providing for the whole child in their classrooms. This work is hard and not made for just anyone! Am I right!? Show your gratitude by nominating a teacher for the Aviat Award. This is a way to show your love and appreciation. Deadline is THIS Friday!
Next up is OLGC’s Annual Thanksgiving Dinner drive. We need about 15 more baskets for this year’s drive. The need is big, but I know our community can rise to the challenge for those in need this holiday season.
Lastly, GivingTuesday is around the corner on November 30th. It is a global day for generosity. This community displays generosity on a daily basis, but more to come on how you can support our parish and school this GivingTuesday.
P.S. Don’t forget your pizza this weekend! That’s it for now. Be sure to read along – there is some good stuff below.
Be well and be kind!
Celeste Flores, PTO President
- REMINDER The Aviat Award: To celebrate the memory of Elizabeth White and her love for OLGC, we are pleased to announce that the Aviat Award this year will follow a new process. Two teachers will be selected as award winners based upon nominations from the entire Our Lady of Good Counsel community. To nominate a teacher, please visit www.olgcschool.org/support/aviat-award and complete a form on their behalf. Nominations must be received by Friday, 11/19. The PTO Board will review and award selected winners. The award winners will receive a generous monetary award to celebrate the Season of Thanksgiving in a way that will make a difference to them and their families. Thank you to all of our amazing faculty and staff for the gifts they continue to share with the OLGC Community each and every day.
- REMINDER Dining for Dollars at Paisano's 11/19-20: We are thrilled to announce two days of Dining for Dollars this month! On Friday, 11/19 and Saturday, 11/20, we have partnered with Paisano's Pizza. The location is at 312 Maple Avenue W. Vienna, VA. A percentage from CARRY-OUT/CURBSIDE & DINE-IN orders will contribute to our cause. Be sure to mention OLGC when ordering and enjoy!
- REMINDER Purchase with a Purpose opportunities to support your PTO! Boon Supply Co sale ending soon! Get a head start on holiday shopping with the OLGC PTO. We are again partnering with Boon Supply to offer hundreds of eco-friendly, waste-free products to purchase for your own use or to give as gifts. From kitchen gadgets to electronics accessories, and candles to eco-friendly cleaning products, there is something for everyone on your list. OLGC PTO will receive an amazing 40% of the profits from items sold. Check out the direct link to the OLGC online catalog right here. Happy shopping!
- REMINDER The Wildcat Fund--Moving Forward, Rising Higher: Please consider OLGC School and The Wildcat Fund with a gift of time, talent, or treasure on #GivingTuesday, coming up on Tuesday, November 30th. https://www.olgcschool.org/support/wildcatfund
Want to stay on top of what’s going on at the school? Bookmark this link.
- LAST REMINDER- NEED just 15 more! OLGC’S 8th Annual Thanksgiving Dinner Drive 11/23: This month's outreach drive is the 8th Annual Thanksgiving Dinner Drive. In these unprecedented times, our dedication to these local families is greatly appreciated. Due to the ongoing impact of the pandemic, we will continue to be supporting 4 local Fairfax County Public Schools and OLGC's Society of St. Vincent DePaul. What makes the dinner drive so special is that each basket is unique to the family that creates the box. Please use this SignUpGenius link to signup to provide a dinner and for details of what should be in the basket. Drop off date for dinners will be Tuesday, 11/23. Drop off details will be sent to those who sign up.
- NEW Thanksgiving Dinner Drive Volunteers Are Needed on Tues. Nov. 23rd: We need volunteers in the morning to assist in the unloading, sorting, and delivering of the Thanksgiving dinner baskets, please signup here to help!
- NEW Buy Your Christmas Cards-The Knights of Columbus are selling their Christmas cards for you to send to yours: The Knights of Columbus are selling Christmas cards and magnets. Send religious Christmas cards this year and remind everyone including friends and family that Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Jesus. All profits go to support seminarians conducting their studies. Place your order online here. Have cards delivered to your home or purchase after Sunday masses Nov 20 & 21st. Questions? email email@example.com.
- NEW Girl Scout Religious Medals: Girl Scouts promise is "On my honor, I will try: To serve God and my country, To help people at all times, And to live by the Girl Scout Law." I think it is important that we share our faith and pass it on throughout our lives. If your Girl Scout wants to earn the Religious Medals and/or Emblems about their Catholic faith, please contact Kathleen Althoff firstname.lastname@example.org, 703-255-9273(h) to get the necessary resources and guidance.
- REMINDER OLGC Troop 976 Christmas Wreath Sale: OLGC’s Boy Scout Troop 976 will be selling festive Christmas wreaths before and after all Masses on 12/4 & 12/5. Our beautiful greenery is fresh from a Maryland farm and the proceeds help keep dues accessible for many boys. Wreaths are $28 each. We will be offering online orders and contactless delivery by a Scout if you live in the OLGC area (~ 5 mile radius surrounding OLGC) for pre-orders again this year. Wreaths usually sell out, so don’t delay! If you order ahead, you can pick up your wreath at our stand in the parking lot before or after Masses on 12/4 or 12/5. For more information about ordering, please visit our web page here.
- OLGC Catholic Community’s 20th Annual Golf Classic: Thank you to our Sponsors, Golfers, Volunteers, and Friends who made the 20th Annual OLGC Golf Classic a HUGE SUCCESS! Thank you most especially to Robin and Greg Bernhard for their tireless efforts as our Golf Chairs. The sun was shining bright for our special day of fellowship, sportsmanship, and fun. We are overwhelmed by the generosity of our community and thrilled to have had the opportunity to come together to support Tuition Assistance for OLGC School. Congratulations to all of our winners and thank you again for joining us!
Want to stay on top of what’s going on at the church? Bookmark this link.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
Always be a little kinder than necessary. ~J.M. Barrie