In our efforts to develop the whole child, OLGC School not only provides an excellent academic program but also offers after school clubs and extra-curricular activities to further enrich our students' experience. We also offer after school classes taught by vendors who contract with our school.
- Altar Servers
- Community Service - Our Faith In Action
- Yearbook Club
- Youth Ministry - Jr. High
Participates in the Diocesan Band Program and is available for grades 4-8. Lessons are given on a rotating basis during school hours. Full band practice is held after school for one hour each week. There is a separate fee charged for this program and is independently managed by the instructor. For more information contact, the school office.
Community Service-Faith In Action
Community Service is one way our students put their faith into action. Our service projects vary from year to year based upon the needs of our local community and availability of projects with the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales both nationally and internationally. We incorporate community service into some of our school events, like the collection of
canned food at our Halloween Trunk or Treat night, as well as Out of Uniform Day donations and direct participation in projects such as Share-A-Meal. Projects we have completed thus far in this school year include:
- Share-A-Meal Thanksgiving Dinner Boxes for Clearview ES
- Christmas Giving Tree sponsored by grades K - 5
- Christmas Adopt-a-Family sponsored by Middle School grades
- Donation to American Cancer
- Halloween candy for the military
- Donation to Children's
- Hospital Medical Center
- Collection of canned food for local food banks at Trunk or Treat
- Participation in the Food for Others Power Packs program for FCPS students
Faith in Action News
Examples of Past Community Service Projects:
- Sponsor students at Ecole Modern School in Haiti http://www.lahaiti.org
- Philippine Typhoon Relief
- Collection of Books for Nativity Prep
- Donations to SuperStorm Sandy Victims
- Adopt-a-Family Program for NY families whose houses were destroyed on Long Island
- Baby Bottle Drive to provide funds for the Alexandria Pregnancy Help Center (Sanctity of Life Ministries) to be used for the training of staff, the purchase of ultrasound equipment, and renovations to the clinic as needed.
- Support of the Banica Mission
- Heavenly Hats Foundation
The Yearbook Club is open to 7th & 8th graders.
- Students are involved with photography, proofreading, sales, layout and other items that go into creating a yearbook.
- Students are trained on the yearbook software and receive some basic photography instruction.
- The Yearbook Club meets on an as-needed basis with email dialogue between meetings.
- Staffer assignments will include both in school and at home activities.
- Send photos to OLGC Yearbook.
Participants include students in grades K-8. Chess Club meets every Wednesday after school in the library loft from 3-4pm. There are three sessions each year, fall, winter and spring. A separate fee is charged for this program which is independently managed by Silver Knights Chess.
Two after school dance classes are offered:
Music & movement classes are available for high-energy students in kindergarten - 3rd grade depending upon the session. Students will learn the fundamentals of dance styles, focusing on rhythm & coordination. Classes will include the basic elements of ballet and jazz as well as the concepts of body awareness, space, rhythm, and shape. Contact Nikki Stezin for more information.
There is a separate fee charged for dance programs.
Integrated enrichment program that incorporates academics, physical activity, and leadership development. POWERU is designed to nurture creativity and imagination while developing physical, cognitive, and emotional strength. The program operates on school days and is available for boys and girls ages 5-12.
To express your interest, visit www.powerukids.com and click the “After School” button on the main page.