Our Lady of Good Counsel offers a balanced approach to education, developing faith-filled, life-long learners, through a play-based and developmentally appropriate curriculum.
Our preschool staff has full access to the resources of both our school and church communities. Each class has a Lead Teacher and an Assistant Teacher with a maximum of 13-15 students.
A typical day includes activities that foster pre-reading, writing and math readiness skills in a play-based environment. Open-ended art activities, faith formation, outdoor play and rest time. Our preschoolers enjoy music and movement activities and hands-on science experiences. We participate in Chapel times, and visit the elementary school for library time and other designated activities.
For general questions, issues and feedback contact Preschool Directors, 703.896.7480.
- Preschool Location & Carpool
- Preschool Hours
- Snacks and Lunch
- Chapel Time
- Extended Day
- Rest Time
- Bathroom Protocol
Our preschool classrooms are located in the lower level of DeSales Hall. This area consists of five large classrooms, restrooms, and a large lobby area. It offers a private entrance, plenty of indoor space to move and play and a dedicated outdoor playground. The adjacent parking lot allows for convenient and safe drop-off and pick-up.
Regarding early dismissal days: Preschool will be dismissed at 11:15 when the school day has an 11:30 early dismissal to ensure that we can accommodate the carpool procedures we have in place.
Regarding the use of sunscreen: Please put sunscreen on your child at morning drop off.
Snacks - Morning snack will be provided daily. A snack list will be posted outside the classroom. Juice and water will be offered.
Lunch - Lunch will be provided daily by Smart Lunches. Parents will be required to select lunches for the week, the Wednesday prior. A hot and cold lunch option will be available each day. On the occasion a parent forgets to complete the lunch selection, lunches will default to the cold lunch option. Milk and water will be offered.
Accommodations will be made for students with documented food allergies. Parents will be contacted concerning these accomodations.
2019-2020 PRESCHOOL EXTENDED DAY CLOSURE DATES
The Preschool uniform of blue shorts and light blue t-shirt, sweatpants and sweatshirt and an optional navy skort for girls are required for our students and should be purchased at The Dress Code Online https://www.tdcviennava.com. The OLGC Elementary School gym uniform is also allowed if properly fitted for the preschooler.
It is imperative that the uniforms fit appropriately and that the child can handle properly removing his/her own clothes to use the bathroom, and independently and successfully manage their school day. For safety reasons please make sure that your child’s uniform fits properly and does not hang too low or too loose as these will prove hazardous during playground play and we do not want anyone to be injured.
Shoes - Closed toed, rubber soled shoes, Students need to be able to run, jump and play comfortably.
Out of Uniform Days - Students should dress in clothes that are comfortable and suitable for active play and rest. Students should wear clothing which they can manage independently and successfully when using the restroom.
Tote Bags - Tote bags will be provided for each student – no backpacks. Tote bags will be issued at the open house.
- VA Licensing requires a minimum rest time of 60 minutes each day.
- Students will be issued rest mats and rollee pollees.
- Students who fall asleep during rest will be allowed to sleep for 1 hour.
- Students who remain awake after the initial 30 minutes will be escorted to another classroom for a quiet activity.
- Students may bring 1 “lovey” to snuggle with at rest. The lovey will be kept at school.
- Rollee Pollees will be sent home at the end of the school week to be washed and returned the next school day.
- Students must be fully potty trained. Pull Ups are NOT allowed.
- Bathroom breaks are structured into the daily schedule and as requested by the student.
- Flushable wet wipes are allowed. Wipes must be supplied by the parents and labeled accordingly.
- OLGC will have extra change of clothes available for students. If your student is sent home in a “spare” set, please wash and return all pieces the next school day.
- School starts promptly at 8:15 a.m.
- Students arriving after 8:15 a.m. will need to sign in at the Preschool Office.
- Absences need to be reported prior to 8:00 a.m. by emailing directors or call 703.896.7480
- Inform student’s teacher of scheduled absences.
- Failure to inform a student’s absence will result in a phone call from the school.
- Room A - Mrs. Orr
- Room B - Ms. Villarroel
- Room C - Mr. Abundo
- Room D - Mrs. Hitchcock
- Room E - Mrs. Baker
Our Lady of Good Counsel Curriculum follows the guidelines set forth by the
Arlington Diocese Office of Catholic Schools.